BETAMAXNOMATES

'All she can do is dial and yell...'

20060125

 

NOT THE SHARPEST BULB IN THE SHED

Don't you just love these lazy Sundays? Loafing around in your pyjamas, having your breakfast in the middle of the day, half-watching the not-quite-as-bad-as-you-expected-but-benefits-greatly-from-lowered-expectations DVD of Dune that came free with the paper. What's that? Wednesday, you say? Oh well, since my hiatus began in earnest last week I've ceased to observe any strict demarcations between days or weeks: time, nutrition, and general personal hygiene are more elastic concepts now. Actually most of my time has been spent looking for a car. It's true what they say about used car salesmen, you know. Nicest people in the world. I've made so many new friends this week: Ken, Barry, Des, Terry, even their names resound with a rich baritone of trustworthiness and reliability. They get a rep as being shady sorts - shysters, 'wheeler dealers', and what have you. You just have to be firm with them is all: stride confidently across the yard, assume the alpha stance and let them know who's boss: 'Oi, Ken/Barry/Des/Terry, I'm looking for a motor, yeah? I'm a man of deeds, not words. Don't underestimate me because you will be making a fatal error. I don't like liars. I don't like cheats. I don't like bullshitters. I don't like schmoozers and I don't like arse-lickers. Time is money, my friend, and you are bankrupt'. Then just walk away - WALK AWAY - and ignore anything they may shout after you. Works a treat I've found. Except I forgot to ask them anything about cars.
Anyway, I think I'll spend the remains of the day exploring my new found love for Ableton (not to be confused with Appleton). Blogger apparently has a 'scheduled outage' at 4PM PST, something I initially misread as 'scheduled outrage' (I have no idea what PST is - though I assume it refers to 'women's problems'). Listen to the Okkervil River album and EP today, if you get a chance. It's really rather good and Arcade Fire-ish, merging, as it does, the vaguely hysterical vocal histrionics of Xiu Xiu and CYHSY with the shimmering pop sensibilities (TM the NME) of Wolf Parade and the like. Also, check out K-Fed's MySpace profile and listen to a sample from 'Popo Zao', his laughably bad debut single, an obnoxious combination of faux-Latino vocal inflections and Fisher Price crunk production values. Don't bother with Match Point though: not even the combined gorgeousness factor of Scar-Jo-Meyers is enough to save this turkey, which, at 124mins, is at least two hours too long. Betamax out.

Comments:
"faux-Latino vocal inflections and Fisher Price crunk production values"

I second this... remember that video that Tommy Lee and his "band" made after the sex tape was released on the net? there's a similar rebutal to public scandal at Federline's site... funny.

hope you are enjoying your time off, good luck with the car - I'm selling my Benz as we speak - too bad you don't live in Germany -

I get my 32 days off soon - can't wait...

make some music, man!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

200410   200411   200412   200501   200502   200503   200504   200505   200512   200601   200602   200604   200606   200607   200608   200609   200611   200702   200703   200704   200705   200706   200707   200710   200801   200806   200807   200808   200809   200811  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]