BETAMAXNOMATES

'All she can do is dial and yell...'

20041115

 

Step into My Office, Baby

*pointing at newspaper, laughing*
Look, Dick Cheney is back in hospital, this time complaining of ‘shortness of breath’; it’s not, apparently another heart attack - Cheney having, amazingly already survived four, his first when he was 37.
Four heart attacks? Its things like this that cause me to wonder that maybe, just maybe, there might be a God - and He’s trying to kill Dick Cheney.
Better luck next time, Big Man.

But now...
Our FEATURE PRESENTATION:
Class Wars (Episode 2): Attack of the Proles!

Work social there Tuesday.
These things are almost always unbearable - huddled in a corner with a group from your department, downing shot after pint in a desperate attempt to muster up something resembling a conversation, sniggering at the boss getting locked, bitching about how the single-parent allowance doesn’t be buying as much drinking as it did.
Eventually, someone stumbles to the dancefloor, you’re dragged up, walla-walla-ing to the Grease megamix, until some beered-up cunt falls over, says he were pushed, and half a fight breaks out while the rent-a-jock shouts out the raffle winners over Last Christmas by Wham.
Good times, my friends, good times.

Course, I hadn’t planned on going, since (a) it wasn’t free, and (b) no one I was friendly with (read: wanted to get off with) was going be there. Plus, the venue is like this vast monument to tack, a multi-storey, misshapen mess of Moore St. bling glittering in the black suburban hellscape of Clondalkin. But into The Arc we went, two by two, until every animal on minimum wage was there.
An aside: Imaginative, Innovative, Ambient, Eclectic, Inspiring, Seductive - that's got to be my new tag-line, though I really should shoehorn a 'dynamic' or a 'vibrant' in there.

My date for the evening, effectively, was Patrick: an overweight, balding 23yr old – nice bloke, ‘not big on reading books’, likes girls who ‘lez off with each other’, someone you might generously describe as one of God’s lesser creatures. We arrived late - but in time for free generic ‘cocktails’ - coming straight from work, still in our uniforms - clip-on’s and everything, but name badges tastefully secreted. I’m really quite into the whole idea of anonymity and artistic distance and stuff, something I’ll get around to writing about once I do some research beyond the idle Google.

Anyway, things got off to a bad start when, on sitting down, I noticed Alex, the boss, coming our way, already off his face and making the two-hand drinky-drinky motion, before collapsing at the foot of the table. He was laughing hysterically, which was quite unusual seeing as Alex doesn’t really appear to have a sense of humour on account of him being foreign. I forget where he’s from - one of these places where they get pissed off if you call them Russian. His surname is completely unpronounceable - over the phone I’ve referred to him variously as Alex Kapranos, Alex Kerplinsky and Alex Knute Rockne.
What annoys me most about him is not that he gets to wear a proper tie - one you can comfortably loosen when the fancy takes you, letting the neck breathe, maybe even pulling the knot a touch askew, achieving that fashionably rumpled, rakish, smart casual look, dressed for business but up for the laugh, a splash of tousled, devil-may-care sartorial subversiveness, like Ron Livingston in Office Space:



Uh, where was I? Oh yeah, Alex: hate him. Mostly as he uses his foreignness as an excuse to act like an arsehole. Yeah, well, I’m sorry there, Russki, but that’s not how we do things over here. Maybe I’m on shaky ground here, but WTF, Alex is a guest in our country. And if I was a guest in your house... [Edited for racism]… ungrateful mothershitter. Son of an ass.

He was joined, almost immediately, by the evening’s self-appointed matchmaker - maybe her name was Eileen, well pissed by now, she looked like Richard Dreyfus had sculpted her from mashed potato. I simply had to meet Gorgeous Blonde Laura, she told me. I was introduced to Laura - neither particularly gorgeous, nor even particularly blonde - and for a while we sniggered at the boss getting locked and she - no shit - bitched about how the stingy single parent allowance meant this was her only night out before Christmas.
Good times, my friends, good times.

Most of the time though I spent talking to Alicia, a friend of Laura’s, small, slim brunette. All similarities to Siobhan Fahey ended there however - at one point I do distinctly remember complaining that she was no match for the mighty Siobhan, who she took for a colleague of mine in Menswear, before a stern lecture on why Siobhan Fahey is the most sexiest, most talentedest woman in the world ever.



Suitably educated in all things Fahey-related, she quickly made her excuses and went home to her child, though she did leave me her number (Laura’s too). I’ll probably phone them too – late one night, when I'm lonely, shouting Shakespeare's Sister lyrics at them.
'Of a wave said to the laureate, YOU WHORE OF SIN! Hot as any hottentot and not the goods for me, WHORE!... [Edited for irrelevance, personal abuse, and unsportsmanlike remarks about British actress Kate Winstone and her struggle with hyper-obesity - The Administrator]

The night slowly lurched into morning: the matchmaker staggered over as everyone was leaving, and leaning heavily on my shoulder, managed to slur: ‘Yiz lads have rubbed some people up the wrong way tonight’. Somewhat drunk, and – given her size – slightly nervous, I laughed it off, making a feeble joke about rubbing people, which the 17yr old next to me seemed to find hilarious. Patrick, it's probably fair to say, didn't take this news very well, kicking over chairs and bellowing abuse at this woman all the way to the car park.
He did it all the way home in the taxi too, breaking off mid sentence to punch the back of the seat, ranting about how that bitch was gonna pay.
They were the worst of times, and the worser of times.

This story has no climax, no insight, no real ‘point’ or anything, just the telling.
I suppose I have a curious affection for the shabbier side of life, the grubbiness, Febreeze freshened but still indelibly tainted - the whole ex-Hollyoaks-babe-guests-in ITV-original-drama of it all. Someone asked me this week if I had any embarrassing stories. It's a good question, and I've come to realise that my whole life is an embarrassing story, an exercise in public mortification.
And between the crippling bouts of black depression, nobody’s laughing harder than me.

Yours, in eternal emptiness,
No Use for a Name.

Comments:
Adrian say: relax.
 
Hilarious. But at the same time I feel guilty for enjoying your skill because I suspect its all real.

Very brilliantly written though Anon.

-Zoomy
 
I am relaxed. I'm very relaxed. Feeling quite calm.

*Crazy-John-Goodman-in-Big-Lebowski voice*
'I'm calmer than you. CALMER THAN YOU!!!'

FYI: It's all real.
Everything on this site is true, though some details may have been misremembered, embellished, or in some instances, entirely fabricated.
Actually, none of it's real. I made the whole thing up. Ha ha. Suckers.

Thanks though.

Sincerely,
The Artist Formerly Known As Anonymous
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

200410   200411   200412   200501   200502   200503   200504   200505   200512   200601   200602   200604   200606   200607   200608   200609   200611   200702   200703   200704   200705   200706   200707   200710   200801   200806   200807   200808   200809   200811  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]