BETAMAXNOMATES

'All she can do is dial and yell...'

20041102

 

The only Bush I trust is Susan Sarandon’s

Today, I’m supposed to be studying for my very important Driver Theory Test which I’m sitting tomorrow. Sample question: When driving at night, you should:

(a) increase your speed as traffic is lighter at night
(b) turn up the radio to help maintain your concentration
(c) oh, who cares? Don’t Stop Believin’? Turn it up! ‘Jus’ a small town girl, livin’ in a looooeeeneeeeely woooorrrruuullld!’ Hell yeah! Now floor it for the solo!


I’m not studying though. My mind is preoccupied with events overseas.
My thoughts, TV3 News tells me, should be with the American people, quietly willing them to make the Right Decision. Only they can put an end to all this boring-as-fuck election coverage. Praise be to Allah.
The BBC, I see, has old Peter Snow pottering around on a CGI map of the States. He looks lost, and vaguely embarrassed, as if he thought he’d be part of a serious political debate but instead is marooned in this virtual reality fantasy land. Why isn’t anybody helping him? Jeremy? Jeremy Jr.?

Of course, the end result will have absolutely zero impact on my daily life. Sure, I know who I’d like to win - and I’ve made my views known via my website and through my ‘awareness raising’ tour with Kid Rock.
But to be honest, it’s hard to muster the energy to care. I mean, this is just Bush Vs. Gore all over again, isn’t it? The high-octane Renny Harlin-directed reshoot commissioned by the studio after the Paul Schrader version failed to capture public interest. Ha ha, take that, Exorcist: The Beginning! Puny movie, me smash.

Yes, this time round it’s all big noises and shiny things. Without any pressing domestic issues (except stem-cell research - hello? Science: boring! - and moustache marriage), this year election policies are being painted with the broadest of strokes. A country at war! International security at risk! Europe Vs. America! Britney backing Bush! Michael Moore getting some award in France! (France?! They’re against everything!) Choose or lose, yo! Fate of world! Your hands! Vote - or Die! You tell ‘em, Diddy.




.....DoNt 4gEt 2 *VOTE*!!!1...... ;-) YAY!!!!!111....... lol......

This is the fight for the MTV/ADHD generation: the text polling, red-button punching, sub-literate, numbers-replacing-words types. Any message, it seems, whether it comes from Gore Vidal or X to the Z, is worthwhile, if it gets these kids to care about the politics.
These kids, the ones who are of age anyway, hold the balance of power, and that, to me, is more frightening than whatever administration gets through today.

I’m rambling. Choking on my own rage here - or maybe it’s just these fucking awful pound shop sweets. Bed, I think. I’ll wake tomorrow refreshed and ready to face the brave new world.

Oh yeah, Susan Sarandon’s bush. That’s what you came here to see.

Two shout-outs before I go. First up, the Freak (who really did win an election recently). I’ve already pimped this guy enough over on Friendster - once I find out how to add links to the sidebar, his blog is going there. Commenting here is now open to all, and indeed, sundry - not just the Blogger account-holding elite. Isn’t democracy neat?

Also big up Neuro and her man-missus who fed me and took me to the pictures last night. The Inspirational Cripple film was great but the thought counted for more. You can read her blog here, a truly beautiful act of bloggery - the East 17 to my Mr. Blobby.

Thank you, and goodnight.


Mood: Cautiously pessimistic.

Music: Toots and The Maytals.

Chow: Bassett’s Fruit Salads left over from Halloween, the ones where the paper sticks in your teeth. Mmm, nourishing.



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

200410   200411   200412   200501   200502   200503   200504   200505   200512   200601   200602   200604   200606   200607   200608   200609   200611   200702   200703   200704   200705   200706   200707   200710   200801   200806   200807   200808   200809   200811  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]